Mold and Mildew in the News
Mold and mildew inspectors at Spore°Tech Mold Investigations, LLC, Louisville, KY frequently find media coverage about how mold is attacking new victims. Mold and Mildew in the News is periodically updated to inform readers that a common theme exists in all cases of mold infestations — moisture/water. If you have a suspected mold problem it is unequivocally due to moisture/water. Contact Spore°Tech Mold Investigations at 502. 262.2022 or info@spore-tech to inspect your premises and to determine your specific mold/moisture abatement measures.
Florida — Two college students filed lawsuit against a student housing complex claiming chronic respiratory problems following their move into the complex in August 2003. The two students and others previously complained about a musty odor and claim that the problem was not addressed by the complex management.
Indiana — Tenants of a downtown Muncie apartment complex for seniors and disabled petitioned the local housing authority to have security and mold concerns corrected. Stained ceiling tiles from leaky pipes and dirty air ducts raised concerns about mold and other health hazards. Health officials stated a visual inspection found no mold on leaky pipes or in air ventilation ducts. One health administrator said mold was the most frequent complaint received by the local health officials. The tenants are awaiting the housing authority to address their health and security concerns.
Illinois — The superintendent of a newly completed multi-million dollar veteran’s home announced a delay of occupancy due to the presence of mold.
Illinois — Add Michael Jordan to the list of high profile celebrities whose homes have been infected with mold. Jordan is suing a manufacturer of the synthetic stucco that he claimed trapped moisture and caused $2.6 million in damages and repair to his Chicago home.
Maine — A severe mold infestation results in the permanent closing of a 50-year-old elementary school.
New Jersey — Three years ago a 2-year-old girl suffered from a terrible and unexplained illness and headaches. Tests for cystic fibrosis, leukemia and other diseases proved negative and the illness continued. The mother concluded that something in the house was making her daughter sick and to sometimes throw up for 7 to 10 days. The head of a diagnostic center at a children’s hospital concurred that vacating the house might improve the child’s condition. Upon a subsequent discovery of rampant mold inside a crawlspace, the family immediately left the home. Today, except for occasional asthma flare ups, the now healthy 5-year-old remembers feeling she was so sick she thought she was going to die.
North Carolina — After a five month closing and a $1 million expense for mold remediation and reconstruction, a college campus building containing 16 classrooms and 36 faculty offices is reopened. Mold was discovered in late 2003 behind wallpaper and wallboard near windows that leaked. New windows were installed during the reconstruction.
Washington — The discovery of mold caused by a leaky toilet in an overcrowded jail prompted the early release of 14 prisoners and the transfer of 12 other prisoners to surrounding area jails. Health officials found significant amounts of mold spores in air samples and recommended the removal of inmates with respiratory and other health problems. Judges in district and superior courts reviewed prisoner cases, including 6 felons, and approved the release of all 14 inmates.
Indiana — A former deputy prosecutor claims she was fired after being a whistle-blower and complaining that mold in her Lake County office caused her chronic headaches, coughing, fatigue and respiratory infections. Others in the office were also suffering from illnesses. Her complaints to managers in the prosecutor’s office about the environmental hazards prompted a heated exchange and her subsequent firing. In Fall 2003, Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration tested the office and discovered bacteria and two kinds of mold that cause allergies and can lead to diseases. The former deputy prosecutor is filing suit against Lake County.
California — The Incredible Hulk overcomes another, yet unlikely foe — MOLD. Lou Ferrigno, former bodybuilder, television and movie star, and his wife reached a settlement with Mercury Insurance for negligence of one of their inspectors. The Ferrignos alleged that the company’s inspector failed to locate and repair a faulty leak that prompted mold damages to several rooms in their home. The repair work took over a year to complete.
California —A plaintiff in a mold lawsuit initially awarded multi-millions of dollars in punitive damages against Allstate has died at age 99. He was a few days short of his 100th birthday on April 12. In 1999 the plaintiff refused Allstate’s offer of $17,300 to repair his home and filed a lawsuit for the company’s bad-faith dealings in handling his homeowner’s insurance claim. A three-week trial in 2000 resulted in a jury awarding him $18 million in punitive damages — the presiding judge lowered the amount to $2.5 million. An appeals court then stripped the near centenarian of the $2.5 million in punitive damages and awarded him $628,646, an amount that paid his nearly $239,000 in legal fees and $290,000 to put toward home repairs.
When faced with a potential mold problem, Spore°Tech Mold Investigations, LLC, Louisville, KY says to “Avert and Revert” — Averting the higher costs of mold damages is done by immediately reverting the indoor environment to a lower moisture condition. Consulting a certified mold inspector will assist you in your mold/moisture abatement process and can prevent you from being the next mold victim reported in the news. Contact Spore°Tech Mold Investigations at 502.262.2022 or firstname.lastname@example.org.